Who Uses Bike Shipping?
Bikes are shipped through the Send My Bag network every day. Many of these bikes belong to people jetting off on cycling holidays, to people moving abroad, and to cycling professionals travelling to popular events and training destinations. Many people ship their bike as well as shipping their luggage.
Ready to ship your bike? Book here!
Why Ship Bikes with Send My Bag?
- Shipping your bike allows you to travel to your desired destination without having to worry about dragging lots of baggage with you. You can rest reassured in the knowledge that your bike is being taken care of for you. Find out how unaccompanied baggage shipping works.
- Our service allows you to avoid extortionate airline baggage costs.
- Shipping your bike overseas means that you can use your own bike throughout your holiday, rather than having to hire one.
- We are constantly increasing the number of routes we operate around the world, which means that we can bring you extremely competitive prices for our bike courier service.
- With more and more companies charging high prices to send a bike abroad, our bicycle shipping service prides itself on beating these prices and offering you a reliable and safe way to transport your bike. So why not obtain a free online quote today?
How Do You Pack a Bike for Shipping?
You can find out here exactly how to pack a bike for shipping.
How Much Does Shipping a Bike Cost?
The cost of shipping a bike depends on the dimensions of your bike box, the weight of your bike and the route you are sending your bike on. You can get an accurate quote by filling in your pick-up location, destination and bike box dimensions and weight.
How Do I Ship a Bike By Courier?
Follow these tips to ship your bike with Send My Bag’s courier service:
Packaging your bike for shipping
Ensure your bike is packaged properly. We recommend you check with your bike’s manufacturer for any tips on how to prepare your particular bike model for transit. You should then package your bike securely within a freight-approved hard-shell bike box/ case, as this offers the best protection for your bike. If you do not have a freight-approved bike box, you must thoroughly package your bike and place it within a sturdy double-walled cardboard box. You can find more details about packaging your bike on our ‘How to Ship a Bike‘ page.
If your bike is not boxed in a freight-approved bike box or a sturdy cardboard box, your collection may be refused. Bikes in bike bags only will always be refused. You should take care to add additional protection to any parts of your bike that may be prone to damage. This includes lightweight frames and protruding parts, such as handles and pedals, which could poke through the box. Send My Bag cover cannot extend to any damage caused to a bike that is not packaged within a freight-approved hard-shell bike box. Therefore, when using any box that is not freight approved, your packaging should be extremely thorough. Find out more about sending your luggage ahead.
Measuring your shipment
Measure your box and enter the dimensions in Step One of the order process for an accurate quote. Bike boxes can be quite large and they will often exceed our standard large suitcase rate. In order to view a quote that is accurate for your own bike, simply proceed from our quote page to the first step of the order process and enter your box’s dimensions.
If you do not measure your bag accurately and your bag exceeds the allowance purchased, you will receive an oversize notification when your bag is measured during transit.
Arrival time of your bike
If you’re taking a biking holiday/ vacation, you should arrange for your bike to arrive before you do. Send My Bag transit times are estimates and, while we have a great on-time record, it makes sense to protect yourself against unexpected delays by ensuring your bike is due to arrive at least 3 days before you arrive.
If sending to or from a designated remote area, we recommend planning for it to arrive 5 days before your own arrival. If sending on a route where international customs apply, please also take care to read the customs information on the relevant shipping destination page, allowing any extra time as advised and adhering to any guidance provided. Most resorts and hotels will be happy to store your bike prior to your arrival.
Don’t forget, you can track your bike every step of the way with the Send My Bag App.