312 Fore Street, Portland, Maine
Built 1868-72, the United States Custom House on Commercial Street was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and is designated as a City Landmark. Following the removal of the U.S. Customs offices to other office space in Portland, the building underwent a comprehensive restoration to correct damage from water infiltration.
Because the building has such great significance architecturally and historically, Landmarks engaged with the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) as a consulting party under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act in order to participate in discussions regarding the building’s preservation. As a consulting party, Landmarks was able to attend meetings regarding the preservation of the building with the GSA and the general contractor. The building is now leased to several federal agencies for office use and the great hall is available to the public for limited use, by prearrangement only. Landmarks periodically offers scheduled tours of the building.
2014 Preservation Award Winner!
Oak Point Associates, Architects
General Services Administration, Client & Property Manager
CCB, Inc., General Contractors
TECTA America, Roofing Contractor
Building Conservation Associates, Historic Preservation Consultant
Masonry Preservation Associates, Masonry Contractor
Peter Lord Plaster & Paint, Plaster Contractor
‘Magnificent’ Portland landmark reopens Portland Press Herald
Tours to offer chance to see Portland’s Custom House Portland Press Herald
U.S. Custom House, Portland, Maine General Services Administration (GSA)
What You Can Do
Attend a Landmarks’ guided tour of the Custom House.
Support Landmarks’ educational programs and tours.